Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Hair loss? Rss

A very strange question... But is it normal to start loosing lots of hair at some stage after your baby is born? My little one is nearly four months old, and in the last week or so i have noticed a huge increase in hair loss, its getting everywhere and i am leaving hairballs all over the floors :S
Am just wondering if it has anything to do with pregnancy and related hormones or if its something else like a mineral or vitamin deficiency...
Thanks ladies smile

I never experienced it but I have heard of it. Apparently accrding to the books we grow extra hair when we are pregnant, even places we don't usually get it like out tummies sad but after our hormones drop we start to loose it again.
Yep, you're just having your post partum molt smile You don't lose much hair during pregnancy and a few months after baby is born your hormones start to return to normal and you start pulling out clumps of hair! It will settle down, but if you're like me it might last quite awhile - don't worry, you probably won't go bald

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

you usually lose your hair when you stop breastfeeding or after three menstrual cycles when the hormone relaxin goes back to normal apparently but I am not breastfeeding and have not noticed any hair loss, but I have so much thick hair I could do with losing some, hopefully it will fall out there is so much of it

Im in the same boat. My daughter is 4 month's and i've been experiencing hair loss for the last month. It's horrible i know, i got some handy little tip's just to minimise breakage but it wont prevent the hairloss.

Let your hair dry naturally if you normally blowdry etc.
Dont brush your hair when it's wet.
If you wear your hair in a ponytail all the time try and leave it out cause it put's stress on the hair.
And also i've heard that you shouldn't colour your hair during this time, or put harsh product's in your hair.

In short just leave your hair as natural as possible.
Remember though you cant stop it, it's just a normal process that we have to go through but these little tip's have help me.
Moo2Moo wrote:
Im in the same boat. My daughter is 4 month's and i've been experiencing hair loss for the last month. It's horrible i know, i got some handy little tip's just to minimise breakage but it wont prevent the hairloss.

Let your hair dry naturally if you normally blowdry etc.
Dont brush your hair when it's wet.
If you wear your hair in a ponytail all the time try and leave it out cause it put's stress on the hair.
And also i've heard that you shouldn't colour your hair during this time, or put harsh product's in your hair.

In short just leave your hair as natural as possible.
Remember though you cant stop it, it's just a normal process that we have to go through but these little tip's have help me.

lol... I shower, dry my hair with a towel and then run a comb through it. And thats it... Thanks though, will keep that in mind....

Oh, and I am still bf and it started coming out before my first period, so guess i am the exception to that theory wink

haha im glad i saw this, my son is 4 months and I was starting to think i was going to be bald with the amount of hair i shed in the shower!!!
Yeah I lost hair as well on both sides of my fringe and it just looked horrible! I started to take vitamins for hair and nails and within a few months my hair grew back ( like baby hair, super fine) and then within 9mths all back to normal again. I've now got a 2 wk old baby and have my fingers crossed I don't loose my hair again sad
Dani + 1 wrote:
Yes its normal. I've had massive hair loss. Felt like I lost half my hair. Just wait till it grows back lol... you get all these weird fluffy bits around your hairline!

oh yay, can't wait :s sigh, sometimes i think its so difficult being a woman. I think guys have it so easy. But then i remember being pregnant and feeling the movement, and i look at my little one and i know i would never change being her mum for the world...

Little Miss's wrote:
From all I've read about it, it starts at around 4 months (something about your hair cycle starting back up sgain)for most women. I hadn't got my period either as I was and still am BFing.

Am hijacking the thread, but you can get your period back while bf. And not even when the little one has cut down to only a few feeds a day. My little one feeds constantly and I got mine back... sigh... am wearing pads in all sorts or places wink

another hair question, when do your LO's usually lose their hair? you know when they go through that bald stage? its cute grin as their new hair prepares to grow, as my girl has tons of dark brown hair but little bits are going blonde and I have seen a lot of babies around six months with no hair or hair slightly growing, so is 4-8 months about right???

Im pretty sure they start losing it sooner than that. My DD started losing hers around 2 months i think, and now she is 4 months its starting to grow back. She never completely lost all her hair either...

Don't forget that many babies are born pretty much completely bald and still haven't had any hair growth at the age of 6 months. The hair growth for all babies are different though,some never really lose all their hair, some lose all of it and it takes months to grow back, others like yours may just thin a little and change colour. For some it can take till around the age of 2 years for them to finally have some hair covering. It might be that your DD may never really lose much hair. I noticed because her cot had all little hairs covering the sheet wink

Sign in to follow this topic