3-2-1 Blast-Off Work-Out
Age: baby, toddler, parent
Skill for Bub: Muscle builder, Just for fun
Get ready to rocket into space with an out-of-this-world exercise to strengthen your baby’s back and neck muscles. Plus it’ll tone and strengthen your muscles too!
Since babies don’t have long attention spans at this age, any exercise needs to be as entertaining as possible to keep them from getting fussy. These techniques are sure to keep a smile on your child’s face from start to finish.
Fly Into Orbit
- Lay your baby, face-down, on your outstretched arms adjusting her feet so that they are pressing firmly against your chest.
- Fly your child around the room while carefully, raising and lowering your arms and making animated rocket-ship sounds or singing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
- Lie down on your back and place your baby, head down, on your chest.
- Count backwards from five. When you reach one, say, “Blastoff!” and raise your baby into the air.
- Holding her in this fashion will encourage her to use her neck muscles to keep her head up.
- As you bring your baby back down to your chest, say, “(Baby’s name) is coming in for a landing, Mission Accomplished!”