Mirror, Mirror on the Wall
Age: baby, parent
Skill for Bub: Just for fun, Mind Builder
Help Baby make friends with his or her reflection for some fun with a purpose.
Babies love babies! Capitalize on this phenomenon by placing your little one in front of a large mirror. Grab the video camera and capture what happens when Baby meets himself.
- Does he smile? Does he reach out to touch the mirror?
- Try placing a hat on Baby’s head. Does he reach out to touch the hat on the mirror, or does he take it off his head?
- Place a toy at Baby’s side. Does he study it in the mirror? Does he look for it at his side?
- And what about you? Does Baby acknowledge you in the mirror, or does he turn in the direction of your voice?
- Talk to your baby about what he’s seeing in the mirror. “That’s you! Say ‘hi,’ Jimmy!”
Mirror play is a great lesson in self-discovery! See Sniff a Whiff and Hear That? and let Baby discover even more.